I just read an interesting PDF about metadata (the data that describes content) and it's place in the web video space. Here it is in its entirety, and I would recommend that everyone involved with web video read it to increase their awareness on the use and importance of metadata.
- metadata is as important to content as the video and audio components themselves.
- spending the time to get the metadata as accurate and complete as possible helps with the finding and discovery of content by viewers.
- there are some automated ways to get metadata but they aren't as reliable as good as humans taking the time to get it right.
- the right metadata can have huge impacts on viewer engagement and proper placement of ads for effective monetization.
- without good metadata, stories around web videos can be confusing, incomplete, and less compelling.